Tilandire Chikufenji, our National Director of Malawi, brings us this encouraging update.
The month of July, 2014 could be best described as a month of renewal when the God of relevance, timing, faithfulness and ability did select a mission team fit for our situation to give a hand and encouragement at a crucial time. We were reminded of his unlimited action to language, boundaries, colour and status. We saw people adapt, reason beyond imagination, and give a hand in the reality of situations. As we all sat back, July went past showing God’s favour in fighting our battles and deepening the work we do in His place in Katsekera.
We all can look back to so many moments in life when we saw God being on our side, but this was the very of it—real, powerful, touching and changing.
In the end, we built and completed the foundation for the first block at Katsekera Primary School, touched homes of kids through home visits, strengthened the level of trust by engaging and inclusiveness during the team visit, and sharing our quest to continue to demonstrate our wish to build for the future by mentoring more youth.
Top 5 Praises to God:
1) Once more to God for the Kenya discipleship training trip which was equipping and brought in a lot of relevance and maturity to our nature of implementation of activities where our focus on relationships has deepened the level of community trust.
2) The Lord for the kind of team we have—reliable, flexible, open, dedicated, hard working.
3) The performance of our kids in primary school is a wonder with all standard two (first grade) kids going into standard three (second grade) with star grades. Half of standard two kids from standard one scored excellently and twenty kids graduated from the center into primary school. We continue to be strengthened by the realization that each passing year progress is being registered and the kids continue to be motivated to attend class consistently. Our appreciation and thanks to all our sponsors and partners, the Lord is watching and surely happy when these kids register such unique progress. We are surely encouraged.
4) Praise the Lord for the women who, after getting fertilizer, demonstrated faithfulness by donating 40 kilograms of maize each to the center.
5) For a new set of plates and pot that we have bought for the center to replace old ones.
We plan to carry out an assessment of household hygiene and nutrition with the District Health team in Katsekera. The aim is to enable the team to create a training methodology to improve hygiene and nutrition, cost effectively using locally available food stuffs and materials.
The district government health team was contacted and provided with logistics to assess kids at the center and brought medicine for skin infections. Continuous monitoring will take place to ensure this problem is eradicated forthwith.
The kids continue to get a tablet of soap each weekly to enable them get clothes washed and come clean to school.
The local drink being offered to kids has brought in an excellent addition to the menu.
We have invested in Community sanitation assessment by District health team to help improve hygiene and nutrition at household level.
We have also committed resources towards building of the school block at Katsekera primary school.
TOP 5 PRAYER REQUESTS:
1) Unity of purpose for the team.
2) Continued improvement in health and well-being of kids.
3) Community participation in block building to be improved.
4) Personal dedication and commitment to Christ by the local volunteers, starting from leadership.
5) For good health and strengthened families of those running the program.