Okay, for Thanksgiving Day our family was looking to get up and connect with a local “Turkey Trot” 5k. However, the prices are pretty high and I’m not a huge fan of any of the organizations who would benefit from the funds. So this got us thinking.
We are going to organize a 5k for our family the morning of Thanksgiving (SweatCor’s Turkey Day 5K) just in the neighborhood where my wife’s family lives. I am creating bibs for the race and we will get up and do a walk/run on a path that I’ll measure out the day before. We are going to ask everyone to contribute $5-$10 (or whatever they want to give) and then use all the proceeds to help with VisionTrust’s Give the Gift of Christmas campaign.
With our family alone there will be at least 20 of us so we could raise $100-$200 just with our get together. So then I started thinking bigger. What if we encouraged families across the country to do the same thing? If just 10 families committed to do this then there would potentially be $1000-$2000 or even more. Each family could look at the website and choose how they want to give. We will even collect pictures from the families walking/running across the country for the SweatCor page. If you are ready to be a part then read on…
If you are interested, here is what you do:
1. Communicate the idea with everyone who is coming together for Thanksgiving to get an idea of who will participate.
2. Contact Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know where you are and how many are a part. Mark will send a race bib template for you to print off as well as a video link. Make a bib for everyone, especially the kids!
3. The day before or the day of Thanksgiving, map out a route in your neighborhood that will equal 3.1 miles. (Usually an out and back works great; find a point 1.55 miles away and when you get there just turn around and head back to where you started!)
4. The day of the run/walk collect entry fee donations. Gather everyone to watch the video Mark sent with the bibs. This will give everyone an idea of what they are running/walking for.
5. Run/Walk the SweatCor Turkey Day 5K! (Take lots of pictures!)
6. Afterwards pick your 3 favorite pictures and send them to Mark.
7. See how much you have as a donation and go to www.visiontrust.org/christmas. As a family pick how you want to help a child around the world.
8.Once everyone is done, celebrate this amazing accomplishment as a family with a piece of your favorite Thanksgiving dessert! (just one piece of course…don’t get crazy…)
What do you think? Are you up to the challenge?